Sunday, August 23, 2009

The Generations Project, Part II: The Filming

For approximately every hour we filmed The Generations Project, one minute is in the actual episode. Yes, I wish the episode could've been longer so that you could see more of what I experienced, but I guess I'm lucky enough to get one hour on national television. My dad laughed when he found out because he doesn't think all of his face time on the big screen adds up to a full hour, but maybe someone like Dana or Chelsey would like to take on that challenge of calculating it all out.
Filming was pretty much the funnest thing I've ever done besides rock climbing in the dark. I've never been an actress and avoid situations that may require any acting skills, so luckily none were needed. Hey, this is a reality show. I can handle being me and being real. But I admit I did have to act a little in the episode—you'll have to try and guess where I'm really being me and where I'm trying to be me.
As soon as Raquel and her team began researching my great-grandma Romania, I was under strict instruction not to talk to any family members about Romania and not to do any of my own investigations into her life. Deal. No deal for Grandma Elsa though. She was the one who ended up having the hardest time keeping her lips sealed. One morning I was at my parents' house, and there was a knock at the door. It was 8 a.m. When Grandma knocks she walks in and says, "Knock, knock knock." She had her arms full of books. "Oh, Lisa! Look what I've found—Romania's photo albums and her journal! Katie, come look at these with us on the couch." Raquel would've been proud because I avoided all eye contact with the photo albums and ran back downstairs, yelling up to Grandma that I wasn't allowed to look at that stuff. It was a long 5 months until filming finally began, but I don't blame Grandma in the least for literally bursting with excitement. So instead of telling me all the good news, she told her hair dresser, Nancy, the ladies she walks with in the morning, the women she volunteers with at the temple, and the man who comes to spray the outside of her house for bugs. I can't wait for you guys to meet my grandma.
Not being able to eat all the time was a definite downside to filming a TV show. Every chance I got I ate. We had to cram so many interviews and reactions and places into one day, and we were actually in such a remote location the second day of filming that the town didn't even have a grocery store or restaurant, so we suffered. The day we filmed in Honeyville we went 15 hours without food, except for the Reese's Klondike bars dear Grandma Elsa gave each of us when we left her house that morning. Beef jerky and a 100-degree bottle of Arrowhead water don't cut it when it's 5 p.m. and you know you still have about 4 more hours till you're done for the day. I'm telling you all this so you know just how much bodily sacrifice went into making this episode and give the producers and camera crew a little more respect. I could never do it like they do it, week after week, unless I had some sort of fanny pack IV.

5 comments:

Tara said...

I think it is very exciting that you are able to do this and learn about your relatives.

Sam Rushforth Taggart said...

I can't wait to watch it Katie!!!! Do we really have to wait until January? Ugh that's a long time!

Jacqui said...

I think this is about the coolest thing I've ever heard of. What a dream come true to learn so much about your g-granma AND have a movie made about it to cherish forever. I definitely want to see it!

Polly said...

What a cute grandma you have. I can't imagine how exciting this is for your whole family. I can't wait to see it!!

Alycia said...

I can't wait to see it, make sure to let us all know!