Saturday, November 15, 2008

Day 1: Amsterdam, Netherlands

If I had had time to write two nights ago, I would've made an entry with a long list of the pros and cons of our flight from Minnesota to Amsterdam . . . but sadly I can't remember all of them now! I should've written them down. One of them was having the honor of being the bathroom monitor (we were in the last row) and now being able to empathize with Jess at work. Another pro was doing airobics on the plane! Now how many airlines provide that kind of service?
So the condensed version is, we had a blast in Amsterdam. I feel like a part of me lives in that little city! Design. Fashion. Art. Unique styles and friendly people. I wish we could've stayed longer to get to know myself better. I really think I could live there, but then I said that about Buenos Aires too. And once I lived in venezuela, I wondered why I wasn't born there.


In Amsterdam, bikes are propped against every wall, chained to every pole, parked in HUGE bike parking garages, and standing up in the middle of the huge squares. We literally saw thousands of bikes in the six hours we were out exploring! I bought three scarves from a man from Lebanon. I asked him which one he liked best, and he said, "You." Ahh. Such friendly salespeople.:) We also found stroopwaffles and practiced greeting the people in Dutch. Meneer is sir and Mufrow is ma'm. (These are my own phoenetic spellings.) As we walked onto the airplane I said, "Who-dadock, Meneer," to the pilot. He actually understood me and asked where I learned Dutch! Strangley he'd never heard of The Best Two Years.

The flight to Egypt was amazing. The flight attendant happily filled up our water bottles and didn't think we were too young to drink like our last one, and I slept!!! The seats went back about an inch or two farther, and it was heaven! More later. We're running to a silver shop right now.

3 comments:

Jon and Diana said...

You are the coolest people I know for using quotes from movies to talk to people in Dutch! Hey, Jon and I recommend looking for exotic wood during your travels. Olive wood is sold here, but its super expensive and fragile. So, look for souveniers out of exotic woods!!

Jim and Marlene said...

I did feel really cool! Who would've thought I'd be speaking Dutch during my trip to Egypt? An I will definitely look for exotic wood. When we're in Israel we're going to hopefully find some nativity sets made out of olive wood!

Jim and Marlene said...

I have no idea why it says my name is haid. This is Katie.