Monday, November 17, 2008

Day 4 (?): The Leprosorium and Sewing School

I don't know what today is. All I know is that we had the best morning teaching about twenty Egyptian women how to make little hats and booties. It was the most I've laughed in a while. I really can't speak Arabic, but I would try and I'd keep asking them questions and then we'd laugh and laugh. When it comes to numbers I only know ashara, which means "ten," so that's what I'd say regardless of the number. Even though I haven't been too quick at learning the language, the women today picked up on the whole loom thing no problem. My new friends are Ola, Shahira, Fadima (I'm totally making this one up. I wrote it down but don't have my paper.), and Alema. Language is definitely not a barrier. There are so many other ways we communicate.




New favorite Arabic word: mumkin (maybe, may I?)
Word we use the most: shokran (thank you)
Common greeting: Salamo alekum
Response to greeting: Alekum salam

On the way home from the sewing school and kindergarten (where we were teaching the loom class), we stopped by the leprosorium. My aunt and uncle have been able to help organize projects to purify the drinking water, add a back up for when the electricity goes out and surgeries are being performed, install ten new kitchens, and redo the benches all around the leprosorium. These happy old lepers pushing the cart were all smiley when they saw my camera. There is a bakery here too where they can make flat bread to sell and eat. Lori is handing over the amazing leprosy bandages her mom made.


7 comments:

Jon and Diana said...

Is that last picture a bodega? It looks like a bottle of chinoto on the side there. Man you guys are the coolest. So, what about the Lepors. Jon and I thought you couldn't touch them, or anything they have touched. They don't look the same as the lepors in the church movies. Are we behind in the times or what? please inform us!! Did you taste the non-flat flat bread? What do things cost there? is it as easy as "mil de pan"? and 350 bolivares for a refresco? It looks like you guys are having a great time serving. I wish I would have learned to make bandages to send with you. That would've been cool.k- love you!

Jon and Diana said...

k- So that isn't a bodega.. is it a toll road stop or something. It looks like they have a little computer inside. Hey, what is the weather like there? Are you covering up because its custom or because its chilly?

Please Pass the Green said...

Very good questions, Dee ! Ha ha! Yes, you were right about this not being a bodega. But doesn't it look cool, like it's way out in the desert to make you wonder how many people even pass through the toll booth/security station there.

We actually weren't chilly. You were right! We had to cover up. Since we were out of the city, we had to be stricter with what we wore to not show our arms.

The restaurant was out of flat bread or pita bread last night. Instead they gave us white French bread! Lame. :) But we did get some yummy hummis. I can't remember what they call it here though. Titini or something.

Dayna Slack said...

You are so cool. I love the pics. It looks really exciting to be out there.

Phyllis said...

I had an awesome comment, but people who don't know me might have misinterpreted it to be derogatory towards lepers. But it was funny. (in my head at least.)

newby said...

the hummus stuff you're thinking of is probably tahini

Please Pass the Green said...

You guessed it, Brad! Did you try it in Jordan? And Dana, I would like to hear your derogatory comment sometime. I always love them, at least when they come from you because you're funny.