Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Day 5: The Pyramids of Giza(!!!)




I wish these pictures could really speak to you and tell you how incredible today's experiences were. Very different from yesterday's, but another aspect of Egypt we've been anxious to see. We rode CAMELS for the first time today! Real camels that gurgle and spit just like Emma can immitate. (Does she still do "What a camel say?")I thought of her today as I was immitating Moses (the camel) to get him to talk back to me. Mandy made better friends with her camel (Whiskey Soda), but Lori's was the nicest (Michael Jordan). I'm going to see if I can post some videos later so you guys can really know what it's like to ride on the back of a running camel. Hah! I loved it!

And did I fail to mention that we took a camel ride around the PYRAMIDS OF GIZA?? The camels seemed to catch more of our attention than the 6000-year-old pyramids, but they were incredible too. Mandy and Lori climbed a queen's tomb next to the first pyramid while I waited below to take their picture (I posted one here), but by the time I started up the walls the police were whistling for everyone to get down. Still very cool!

As our little caravan was wandering through the desert, Absalam, one of the camel drivers, asked me if I was a meditator. I said yes, and that I prayed. (Remember, if I talk about religion here I can get thrown out of the country. My aunt and uncle have to be especially cautious since they're missionaries, but they've warned us.) He asked if I prayed to dogs. I said no. He asked if I prayed to wood. I said no. And he kept asking: animals, the air, statues, prophets, etc. I kept saying no until he asked if I prayed to my God. When I said yes, he said, "Good. I take you to the desert to mediate. You come with me to the top of that hill over there and you listen." So we all took off as the sun was setting. He said I could stay the night in the desert, but I told him maybe next time we visit Egypt.

BUT then interestingly enough we ended up staying in the night desert waiting for the light show to begin! We were on and off those camels for 3 hours!! Ha ha. (The soreness is setting in. The drivers told us we really will be walking like Egyptians now.) So the six of us (3 drivers and us) rode our camels all over until the bulis (police) told us the place was closed, and then we headed back out a ways into the sand to get our own private show of the lights on the pyramids. (And yes, we were safe.) What a day! I would do it again tomorrow if I could.






9 comments:

Dayna Slack said...

That is amazing you got to ride camels by the pyramids!!! So sweet.

Please Pass the Green said...

DAYNA!! We need to catch up big time. You have something you need to tell me! And, yes, so amazing today.

HeRoosSheRoos said...

Lori Jane....this is so exciting! I am so glad I get to have a sneak peak into your trip. It looks like you're having a blast. Jennie Roos

Jon and Diana said...

Kate, Jon wants to know if you offered your camel a breath mint. Was that an adventure to remember or what? I totally freaked when I saw the picture of all of you girls on the one camel. How do the Egyption pyramids compare to Teotihuacan? You are so multicultural! ha ha.

Phyllis said...

Katie, that is about the coolest thing ever. Those pictures couldn't be better if they were photoshopped! (The turban, the camel, the pyramids...) I love to hear about your adventures! Have fun!
-Dana who is your cousin and oh-so-envious

Jon and Diana said...

p.s. you won't play with a poopy puppy, but you'll kiss a camel???

Emily said...

How incredible!! I still can't believe you're there! The pictures look fake. ha ha.

The Dwelley's said...

I am having so much fun reading your blog. It makes me want to visit Egypt.

Please Pass the Green said...

Kissing a camel is how I imagine it would be kissing Tom Selleck. I loved it so much, I kissed the camel three times! :) (The camel driver kept taking the picture after I'd already pulled away!)